Site Meter

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Mandatory Hijabs

It seems like one student Islamic society has taken the road of making Hijab compulsery for sisters who are invloved with that MSA. I recall back in the day when there were a few people in my former MSA ( when I was in school) trying to put something similar forward for our MSA. Sanity prevailed then, due to some wise heads who were making the decsions.

I understand that people who made this rule want only people who are fulfilling the obligation of Hijab to represent Muslims so that non muslims dont get the impression that Hijab is not a complusary regulation. But then where do you draw the line? Compulsary beards ( or a minimum length for beards) for brothers? Only people who eat halal meat to represent Islam ( yes there are Muslims out there who eat it all)?

I recall every time a new semester would start I would notice a lot of new sisters in our school. But then when I would ask one of the sisters about the new sisters, they would tell me these people arent new, they have just started wearing the Hijab. Please dont discrimnate against these people.

Please dont discriminate against Muslims to show non muslims what Muslims are. You might just be showing them what Muslims shouldn't be.

1 comment:

amygdala said...

thanks for the supportive post! your comment about other 'indicators of muslimness' is one i immediately thoughts of: perhaps we should check that everyone's doing their five prayers!

shall keep you posted on developments.