Site Meter

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Don't think an Elephant




I started reading a new book Don't think of an Elephant on Imam Zaid's recommendation. The first page had a very interesting paragraph which I quote here:
When I teach the study of framing at Berkeley, in Cognitive Science 101, the first thing I do is I give my students an exersise. The exercise is : Don't think of an elephant! Whatever you do NOT think of an elephant. I've never found a student who is able to do this. Every word like elephant evokes a frame, which can be an image or other kinds of knowledge. Elephants are large, have floppy years and a trunk, are associated with circuses, and so on. The word is defined relative to the frame. When we negate a frame , we evoke a frame.

I have learnt from my teachers that part of preventing oneself from going back to the same sin (after Tauba) is not to think about your sin repetitively because that only increases the chance of you repeating your Sin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

has nothing to do with your post, but the habs are gonna atake it tonight... Jan 19, 2006

Din said...

3-2 FLAMES :-D

MUAHAHAHAH