Site Meter

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Bank Card Theft?

Today I learnt that there had been an attempt to withdraw a large amount of cash from my bank card by a random unkown person which was caught by my bank causing them to put a hold on my card.

Good thing they caught it. Otherwise I would have been a poorer man ( still rich at heart) if they hadn't caught him/her doing this.

My advice is to be careful where you use your card. In fact credit cards are safer because the money that you pay from your credit card is not your money and can be investigated. However if it goes from your own bank account then getting it back is much harder. Cash is also much better than using your interact everywhere. Moreover you should check your balance regularly to check for any weird activities.

I learnt my lesson today, good thing I did not have to pay for it. Some advice from my bank CIBC. And some advice from RCMP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. how did your bank find out about the theft? I happen to do some research recently on the topic.You are lucky that your bank detected the abuse.
Identity/Bank/Credit card theft is on a rise.A recent General Accounting Office report estimates that as many as 750,000 Americans are victims of identity theft every year. And that number may be low, as many people choose not to report the crime or, for that matter, even know they’ve been victimized.