Site Meter

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Trouble in the P-land




I talked to my parents today. The situation in Pakistan is quite pathetic. My mom's school ( where she teaches) has been closed for 1 week now and is closed indefinitely due to the instability caused by the protests on the cartoons happening in Pakistan. Of course, most people do not support the actions of these individuals who are vandalizing and harming other people.

What is the fault of a lower middle class guy who parked his motor bike only to find out later that his bike was burned by protesters?

What is the fault of a shop owner whose shop windows are broken ( damage worth 1000s of rupees)?

I was checking out what the newspapers in Pakistan were saying about this issue. Almost all of them agree that the protests aren't about the cartoons anymore, but in fact these protests represent more deep rooted grievances of the people.

A few of these articles are linked below:

The Christian Science Monitor has a really good article on this too.

The Independent has a good one as well.


5 comments:

Abu Adam said...

SubhanAllah.. and our life and property is as sacred as the Kabbah in Makkah.. We need to return to the teachings of our Prophet (SAllahu alaiyhi wa salam)

"O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your LORD, and that HE will indeed reckon your deeds."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/prophet/lastsermon.html

Din said...

Cannot agree more Abu Adam :-)

Faray said...

one of the reasons for which my mom didnt let me go to pakistan to study was that she would worry every day abt bombs and firings and whether I had reached home in one piece or not.

Though, all these things are a part of life and what abt the people who live there?.. These things can happen any where, any time. I still wish sometimes that I had gone there to study. I was a pre-med student. I had always seen myself operating on someone in Pakistan.
Everything changed when I was told I couldnt go back.

However, Alhamdulilah ..we dont realize but we are so blessed, my friends over there they say they never have light at school or cool air in the scorching heat. May Allah swt make it easy for everyone, everywhere. Ameen.

Din said...

Ameen.

Abu Adam said...

Why is this not happening in India? why only in Pakistan is this craziness happening?