Site Meter

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Hamilton Spectator: A reporter's experience as she dons head scarf and interacts with locals

Interesting observations....Something our hijabee "sisters/bajees" have to live with daily..


"The salesgirl leads me right to the scarlet mini when I ask to see something in red.

She doesn't scan the racks for a black, ankle-length number to match my head scarf. "Maybe I'll come back," I say, disappointed.

Yesterday, I was looking for more than my usual shopping experience -- and not just in summer wear. The clerk's actions were the first surprise in my quest for quick answers. In my hijab, I'd expected she'd offer up a modest dress.

For three hours, I saw the city through the eyes of a Muslim woman -- sort of. I borrowed a hijab, so I could walk in the shoes of a female Muslim. Did the scarf mean I would be treated differently?"

No comments: