Site Meter

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Reflections: Take My Hand


Sidi Nader Khan based his song "Take My Hand on the following story taken from The Duties of Brotherhood in Islam Translated from the Ihya of Imam al-Ghazali Translated Mukhtar Holland.

"It is related in the stories of the People of Israel that two godly brothers were upon a mountain. One of them come down to town to buy a pennyworth of meat. He saw a harlot at the butcher's shop, gazed upon her, fell in love with her, and carried her off to a private place to copulate with her.  After spending three nights with her, he was ashamed to return to his brother in view of his offence.

Meanwhile, his brother missed him and felt concern about him. He descended to the town and kept on asking about him till he was directed to him.  Then he went in and found him sitting with the girl. He embraced him and began kissing him and hugging him, but the other denied all knowledge of him, being so ashamed.  Then he said:

"Come my brother, for I know your condition and your story, yet you were never better loved nor dearer to me than at this moment. "

Now when he realized that what had happened had not lowered him in his brother's eye he arose and went away with him. "  

Listening to Sidi Nader's song "Take My Hand" took a different meaning after reading this story. 

Subhannallah. The song speaks for itself. A lot of times when we see someone ( we know) in a hole, we tend to put them down and make judgements. We also like to attribute "cause and effect" to their condition i.e. thinking/saying that this happened to "so and so" because they did "so and so".  However, when we are in holes or facing a tribulation, we tend to gravitate towards people who don't pass judgements on us. As Sidi Nader says if we really love them and if we really care about them we would or should say:

"Take my hand, come with me / I won’t judge, won’t put you down / While you lie, down on the ground / Take your time, I’ll hang around / Take my hand, come with me"

We have all faced trails and tribulations based on which people around us have formed opinions on us. A lot of times these opinions seem to be unfair or at least based on a bunch of assumptions, which make us want to think: " Oh man, I wish they really knew what I went through". As the saying goes "   Treat others like you would like to be treated."  Sidi Nader says:

"Take my hand, come with me / I don’t know how I would fare / If your trials, I was to bear / But your burden, do let me share / Take my hand, come with me /"

Along the same line of thought, its hard to forgive someone when one has been wronged. Whats even harder is to start a relationship with the same person with a clean slate. However, as Muslims we are commanded to show mercy to people since we are constantly under the infinite mercy of Allah. Sidi Nader says:

"Take this hate out of your heart / It’s alright that we’ve grown apart / Let’s give this thing a brand new start / Take my hand, come with me /"

Sometimes when we land in a problems, we tend to blame circumstances and the people around us. However, as Muslims we are supposed to have Rida. We are supposed to be content. We are supposed to have a good opinion of Allah for he puts us in situations and things happen because He willed it to  happen.  We are only responsible for taking the means. We should not worry ourselves with outcomes for they are in his hands. As a scholar said beautifully when we point one finger of blame there are three other fingers pointed towards ourselves. Sidi Nader says:

"Turn your anger, your glowing rage / Against yourself, break out of the cage / Write your story, on a brand new page / Take my hand, come with me /"

Along the same lines as before ( of not passing judgment on others too quickly), Sidi Nader says:

" I won’t shout, I’ll stay composed / This is where, you need me most / It’s not too late, the door hasn’t closed / Take my hand, come with me /"

When we act as a support for people we love, we may start thinking that since we are the "support", we must be better then them. One really has to be humble when one helps other people. For if Allah had willed we could have been them and they could have been us. Besides, we are in constant need of help of the One above so who are we to think that we are better then "so and so". Sidi Nader put its beautifully ( and this is my favourite part):

 "And if i stumble, as I walk with you / I’ll take your hand, oh I’ll come with you / I’ll need your strength, to pull me through / But now take my hand, and now come with me /
Amazing song. For more information on Sidi Nader, visit www.naderkhan.com

3 comments:

khany said...

thanks for sharing the song and the commentary, hammad. wishing you a fresh new start, insha allah :)

Anonymous said...

JazakaAllah khair for that beautiful commentary and reminder :)

Bryan said...

A nice sentiment for the post-hajj period. Inshallah, we will find 70 excuses for our brothers and sisters.



PS A great song too!