Site Meter

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ramadan Reflections


Ramadan (Muslim month of fasting) is a time of reflection for me and it has been even more so since I moved away from my family to come to Waterloo, Canada. I remember my 1st Ramadan 4 years ago without my family being so tough. No family Iftars. No nice pakora smells coming from the kitchen. No talking to amee (mom) in the Kitchen while she would be preparing the amazing iftars. No Fruit Chaat. No Prathas in the morning Suhoors. No going to the market to get jalebis and other delights. No loud Azaans outside at Iftaars and Suhoors. No Special Transmission on TV showing Naats & Qawallis. Moreover, for the 1st time during Ramadan that everyone around me was not fasting!

All of the above things forced me to reflect and think of how unthankful I had been when I had all of the above blessings. It was only when those blessings were taken away I was able to appreciate what I had. This quote from Abdul Hakim Murad comes to mind:

"It is better to appreciate what you do not have than to have what you do not appreciate."

So in 2001 it was me alone in the kitchen preparing French Fries for iftar. Being really new to Canada at that time and living in a less social Residence meant I did not know many Muslims-and also, I was the only Muslim in my program. Add 1st year Academic Challenges of 1st year in University to my Ramadan and yes indeed: times were tough.

My next Ramadan ( 2002) was on a work term in Mississuaga. Mashah allah that was a time when I met some of my relatives whom I had never met before in my life! They helped me a lot- they would give me food and every now and then I would go to their place for Iftar. Ofcourse it was still not like home but it was much better.

The last 2 Ramadans were when things really started getting better. The MSA at Waterloo started having free iftars for students, 3 days a week in 2003. Mashah alalh about a 100 people used to show up at every fast---I made a lot of friends during that Ramadan. The fasts also gave me a semi-family atmosphere. Last year (2004), I was boarding with a family in Hamilton during Ramadan. It was a blessing in many ways. I got great Prathas for Breakfast and great iftars in the evening. It felt like home in most ways. And then since it was a very friendly family there was more a family feel to my fast as well. Moreover every now and then I would go to Mcmaster to break fasts with the MSA there.

This year Mashah allah I have friends in Waterloo who are like my family now ( Though nothing can replace my immediate family)--and fasting is much easier then it ever was for the last 4 years.

Things are much better in so many ways, alhamdulillah. Ramadans in Canada have forced me to reflect in a different way. And I am thankful for every thing I have now. Cause I do have more blessings then I deserve.

Be Thankful,( from SOME: Wisdom ) by Anonymous

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire,
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge
Because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes
They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary
Because it means you've made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things.A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they
can become your blessings.

No comments: