Site Meter

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Quake /\/~~\/\

Collapsed Margalla Towers in Islamabad ( NY times picture)

This morning I had a big scare. I had just kept my fast when I got a message from a friend informing me of a big earthquake in Islamabad and that 2 buildings ( Margalla Towers) minutes away from my house ( where my parents live) had collapsed. Understandably I was very nervous. Frantic calls to Pakistan were not getting through, however thankfully I called my sister in Germany who had talked to my parents and later I was able to talk to my parents myself. They told me that the shaking was so violent that they could not stand up and sat down.....They thought that " this was it" as in "the end"- and the house was going to collapse. Thanks to Allah that nothing happened and my parents are okay, so is my house and all utilities are working. Though the aftershocks are continuing and even when I was talking to my mom she told me that she could feel the earth moving every few minutes.

A bit more about the building that collapsed in Islamabad. Margalla Towers were constructed right before my eyes about a decade ago. In fact the buildings that collapsed were the newest ones built!!Moreover there are buildings around that building that are taller and were built afterwards yet they did not collapse. I cant help but suspect sub standard construction was at fault. Though I guess right now saving lives is the top priority-and rightly so; but in the long term the collapse of the building has to be investigated specially in the context of the construction procedures.

What's a bit freaky for me was the fact that these buildings were built from scratch right before me, I could see these buildings from my house and these buildings so tall and magnificent.... are there no more. Some people in these buildings are no more. The people that survived the building collapse either have no home or have lost a family member.

Even though I am so far away from the quake--the fact that it has affected the city I grew up has had a big impact on me. I am thankful firstly that my parents are okay and secondly that my house is standing. Thirdly it was a reminder how near death could be for me and my dear ones.................Last but not least I pray that Allah grants patience to all those who have been severely affected and tested through this quake. I pray for those who died--May Allah grant them Paradise and may Allah grant their relatives patience as well. Ameen.

To end this post here are a few eyewitness accounts on BBC caught my eye as well:

I live opposite the collapsed apartment building in Islamabad and saw it collapse like one of those staged demolitions you see on TV. The reality of the situation hasn't fully sunk in yet. The human tragedy angle to this story is immense and indeterminable at the moment. It seems so surreal like I am still watching the telly and can switch to a different channel, one that is more agreeable and pleasant. One that won't make me realize that I am now homeless as my apartment building has been declared unsafe. Nowhere to go and fasting (Ramadan), the situation seems precarious.
Qaiser Rasul, Islamabad, Pakistan
The building that collapsed was unsafe from the day it was built. Within weeks it had seepage problems and cracks developed everywhere. The contractor should be held responsible. I saw a foreigner(possibly American)tying sheets together to lower himself and some kids story by story till the fire department got there. The Police didn't let anybody help out, considering there were only around 15 people standing on the rubble and trying to lift concrete which proved to be a waste of time. the army and the machinery took their sweet time (around an hour) to arrive. A woman next to me was crying that she'd left her apartment to buy milk and her 16 year old son was somewhere trapped beneath the rubble. Oxygen tanks were supplied by hospitals nearby as there was a severe Gas leakage and the electricity was cut off too to prevent any fires. Kids and toddlers were clinging to their parents and crying while their parents tried consoling them. God bless the victims of Margalla Towers.
Hassan, Islamabad

3 comments:

Junaid said...

Glad to hear that your family is okay. Certainly a traumatic experience.

Keep us updated as you hear from your family and others in the area.

Anonymous said...

Hope inshaa Allaah all of your loved ones are all accounted for.

Din said...

Thanks Junaid and Safiyyah. All my relatives are okay. And from what I know my friends are okay too ( since I havent heard otherwise yet).