Site Meter

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Amusing ourselves to Death?

I recently finished reading an eye opening book by Neil Postman Amusing ourselves to Death.
Written more than 20 years ago I still found the book to be very relevant. In this day and age in our so called fast lives we tend to overlook assumptions made by the media when they present " facts" to us. Niel Postman has made some thought provoking arguments for sure!Check out his interview to get a glimpse of what is in the book.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you liked this title you will lovve 'freakonomics' from steven levitt. to be sure a very unconventional book.. not specifically aimed at media bashing. the subtitle reads 'exploring the hidden side of everything'... get your hands on it quick!

Din said...

Thanks Khany!
Can I borrow it off you?

Anonymous said...

too late.. i returned it to the library. i will put a hold on it but i suspect there will be a significant line up.

Anonymous said...

Hey

I read this book. Its a quick read and I agree with some of the stuff he said, but others not so much. I mean, if you have any common sense, you're not gonna completely believe everything you see on tv.
I thought his observation he made about newscasts was great. He said that charm and wit seem to cover up the suffering and seriousness of the reports. A death is then followed by sports coverage etc.
Some pretty interesting observations, but also others I didnt agree with. I dont believe that people are as mindless as he would like to think.