Site Meter

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Shazia Khalid

I was really sad to hear about the case of Shazia Khalid in Sui, Pakistan. She flew to England and is trying to get to Canada where she has many relatives. New York Times has some interesting articles on her . The English media in Pakistan seems to be giving the case some decent coverage . This is probably one of many abuse cases in Pakistan that happen every day. Most of them probably aren't reported. For example Mrs Shazia herself ( a very educated woman) took some time to disclose the horrible incident. As Human Rights Watch also testifies : the problem is very deep.

At this point I should also mention, that woman abuse is also a problem in the developed world in places such as the US ( source: US Department of Health and Human Services) and Canada (source: Statistics Canada) .

No matter where this terrible phenomena exists; in varying degrees and varying forms, I hope and pray that we deal with it effectively......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sidi, on what basis would you affirm that, "to a lesser extent woman abuse is also a problem in the developed world in places such as the US and Canada."

Do any statistics of direct and indirect abuse support this?

Din said...

I gave two links in my post:
The US
http://www.mchb.hrsa.gov/pages/page_49.htm
Canada
http://www.womanabuseprevention.com/html/statistics.html

Din said...

Thanks for pointing that out though!
I have made it more clear in my post now that I did have sources ( and had provided links) to back my statement

Anonymous said...

The question is: how can we state that it is *less* in Western countries than in Muslim ones?

Din said...

True..I dont have stats to back the "lesser" part..hence I have removed it..
I wish there were studies done which would do comparisons on these issues..( between developed and developing countries)
Anyways Jazak Allah Khair for pointing that out :-)

Anonymous said...

Barak Allahu feekum, Sidi.