Site Meter

Monday, March 20, 2006

Environmentalism's Shadow History

Its interesting to read about the history of different movements that exist around us. One of them is the Environmental movement. I have rarely read up on it's history though a friend once pointed out some double standards that exist within the movement. Here is an article that gives an overview of it's darker past and how the movement is mutating as times change. This article is just one view however it does give some food for thought.

Many scholars have tried to draw attention to the narrowness of traditional environmentalism, with mixed results. Environmental history is a fast-growing field, and most college classes on the subject are popular. Yet when historians such as William Cronon question the slavish devotion to an unattainable wilderness ideal, as he did in his 1995 essay "The Trouble with Wilderness," most environmentalists still reflexively dismiss them as naive or dangerous. Such misguided retorts squander opportunities for honest and perhaps transformative debates at the very time we need them most.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't read the article in detail; instead I read William Cronon's essay essay (seemed more interesting :P and I'm at work so I chose the more interesting of the two).

Then I realized that my comment was long enough to be an entire post.