Site Meter

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Waterloo Conversion Story

A very active convert in our community - Suhaila- has just started a blog. She has posted her conversion story. Please click here to read it.

"This is actually the first time I’m writing the whole thing out, so if I digress a bit, forgive me. My family originates from Sri Lanka (I was the first of my entire lineage to be born outside of our home country), but I’ve never actually been there, and I don’t speak any Tamil beyond what’s necessary for basic survival in a Tamil house. I was raised Hindu, but my parents never forced any aspect of the religion on me, and taught me to question every little thing (a large part of the Hindu thought process, although it’s called the Socratic method these days). My parents taught me everything I know in terms of morals, and they taught me to make every action for God and not worry about the consequences. They taught me to love Hindu literature, which I still do, although I don’t believe the characters are real like they do and none of us believe the stories are infallible like many Hindus do. I was never punished - they taught me the feeling of shame and I essentially punished myself by driving myself crazy when I did things that were wrong.............read more "


No comments: