Site Meter

Saturday, June 03, 2006

My Journey to Pakistan

So I am back from my Journey.

As Sheikh Hamza says that the best thing about a journey is that through that journey you appreciate what you had at your place of origin and the irony is that you wouldn't have had that appreciation without the Journey . The first time I experienced was when I returned to Canada for university, leaving my home and family to come to a culture which I had been born in, but not brought up in. Add to that the challenge of University life Anyways it made me appreciate the sense of security at my home in Islamabad and all the wonderful friends I had while growing up there.

While I have travelled a bit since coming to Canada ( including 3 trips to Pakistan), this trip was different. It came after 5 years of residing in Canada and having friends here who are like my family. Anyways the point is that at this trip I was more relaxed and mature and able to compare with what I have in Canada:

1) Stop in Germany

I stopped for a few days in Germany at my sisters. I experienced life in a small town near Munich where my sister lives and also got to visit Munich where I saw a Castle, Olympic Stadium and the Main City Area. What was interesting was that at Memingham where my sister lives there were a very few people who speak English!!!

That was a bit shocking and when I would go for shopping I would just try to guess what the cashier was saying and nod my head.

European people are Chillers. You could see that by observing their way of life. The working hours are much less in number and even in the streets the people look to be more relaxed and are chatting and talking away all the time. There are lot of street entertainers like tap dancers, music players, painters in Main City areas and on the street corners.

I also observed a strike by engineers and doctors in Munich. When I came though the area a 2nd time the strikers were enjoying a concert! I got to see a lot of Historical spots like the main gates to Munich. I also saw the Nuremberger a luxurious castle. It was interesting to see how the political elite lived in past time or live at present times in Pakistan ( :-P).

Overall it was a good educational trip with some quality time with my sister and brother in law.

2) Arrival in Pakistan

Despite my insistence to not come and pick me up, my parents still came to the airport. It was good to see them. I got some nice home cooked meals and some good sleep the first few days. Also got to share some stories from Canada with my parents.

3) My friends in Pakistan

Except for those becoming doctors or pursuing further education most of my friends, I learnt , were now working for big Multi National Firms. I was happy to hear that. Moreover some of my classmates are getting married/engaged very quick specially the females.

4) Economy in Pakistan

The economy in Pakistan is supposed to be booming. My friends were getting jobs easily. But to put things into perspective most of my friends are well off and get education from top institutions in Pakistan spending thousands of Rupees. Of course the average Pakistani cannot afford that. The improvement in the economy is benefiting the rich more than the poor. In Fact the gap is getting wider which was obvious form Media reports and from my observations on the streets. Where we had families buying many cars and the most expensive of cell phones we also have MANY MANY more beggars on the streets and more thefts.

5) Security in Pakistan

Security is good in Pakistan if you have money and power. Even if you have both you don't have a guarantee of security. Recently the wife of a big army officer had been robbed at a ATM machine.

The poor man has no chance of justice with courts or the police. The poor man knows this and so does the police!

6) Road Safety in Pakistan

Right after coming out of the airport I was just shocked by how people were driving. They drive and also drive people crazy. While things have improved in Islamabad due to a new unit of Traffic Police, it is still scary to see people drive. People tend to ignore lanes, indicators and many other rules. I always felt at risk when I was on the road. Perhaps I am too Canadian in the way I commute

7) Media in Pakistan

The news media is better. There are more private channels then ever and they do bring a lot of problems in society to light. There is Jerry Springer type show on TV but much more toned down and watchable where a lady invites people from a household and make them resolve their issues though they usually end up at a worse state then they began with.

There is full freedom give to the media which was a good positive.

8) Political Pakistan

Have you heard a drug dealer says that " you should say no to drugs"? Well how about a dictator saying that he needs to be in power for democracy to take roots in Pakistan.

Moreover, unfortunately Mr. Mushi is using the same politicans who his corrupt predecessors had at their disposal. The political future looks bleak.

9) Environmental Pakistan

With increasing population and no legislation Environmental conditions are inadequate.

While I was there a kid died in Karachi when he was playing cricket in an empty plot where a factory had been dumping hazardous waste. Many of his friends were burned too.

Do you remember Whalkerton and how it revolutionized Canadian Environmental Legislation? Well there were two incidents on the same scale in Faisalabad and Hyderabad which made thousands of people sick and also killed a few. There was good media coverage but thats all there was.

The Environmental Legislation in Pakistan is Non existent.

10) Parenting in Pakistan

My mom is a teacher and has been one for 25 years. I had conversations with her about the increasingly technological households. She was telling me about the negative impacts of too much TV and internet and that the parents were totally unaware of.

Misuse of technology is corrupting the young minds of tomorrow

11) Khutbahs in Pakistan

The 2 Khutbahs I went to were very good in terms of the knowledge aspect. There were also good references to classical scholars . However most of the audience appeared to be lost somewhere else and not listening.

The more knowledgable people need to connect to the people-specially the youth.

12) Health

There is 1 doctor for every 4000 people in Pakistan and even those arent regulated and arent penalized for malpractices. Infact my friend's mom died recently due to misdiagnosis.


After 18 days in Pakistan I traveled back through Qatar Airways. I had an interesting incident in Doha. I have complained about it to Qatar Airways and will blog about it once I hear back.

As I said at the beginning of this post journeying makes you appreciate what you have.

I definitely appreciate what I have in Canada alhamdulillah ( with the exception of high Insurance rates- I am paying 250$!!!!) . I miss my parents here but that problem will be solved as well inshah allah.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salamu'alaykum,

I like your blog.

Wasalam.

Anonymous said...

nice to have you back!

Wa Salam

Abu Adam said...

SubhanAllah there is so much you said and so much that could be commented on..

I was just thinking of how in this country we have problems with people killing others with drinking and driving, i guess over there, there isnt the drinking but the driving is somewhat drunk

and i also wonder about India and how Pakistan fares in comparison in regards to these things you mentioned - lack of obeying traffic regulations, environmental laws, increasing gap between the rich and poor, media, etc..

and i wonder what we can do as individuals about it, and is there anything we can do?

abdullah

Din said...

I have heard India is slightly better but not much better.

As for what we can do. Seriously you feel helpless when everthing is amess.

Its like seeing a messy room and not knowing where to start.

Anonymous said...

The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and the rest are fleeing away from the country, running away, not having the courage to change things for the better, not their fault really since the opportunities abroad lure them but somebody has got to take charge and change things for the better. Where are the quaids and iqbals of this generation??, perhaps there are none,or are yet to awake.
Pakistan is a beautiful country, with beautiful people,the warmth and love that people have here is uncomparable. All these big nations have had centuries of revolution, Pakistan is just 59 years old..not many countries have achived what Pakistan has in such a time span..InshahAllah the country will prosper.
I see more negatives in your blog than positives.You should shed some light on the goodness of the country if you see any i.e. take care brother..peace

Din said...

Peacemaker I agree that there are positives in Pakistan which I may not have mentioned in my post.

On the other hand there is a lot of room for improvement. And I believe the first step to solve any problem is to point to what the problem is.

I hope inshah allah things improve but being a pragmatic person I am a little pesamistic at least in the short term.

Anonymous said...

Pointing to correct is certainly good if an effort is made to correct it and not just sit back and criticise.
Keep analysing.

Din said...

Critisizng in public is part of the effort. As I said it is a first step.

Anonymous said...

Assalam-o-alaikum br. Hammad,
I had fun reading about all the updates about Pakistan. As I haven't been there for almost five years now, it was interesting to find out what’s new there.
I know the show you were talking about, I think that lady is not suited for that job, and they perhaps need a more mature individual. And I find it weird how both parties just fight, and they just end the show without any resolution-2 parties come, fight and go..

Wassalam