Site Meter

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

CSM:No More Saviors

I recall in my last few years at varsity the "save Africa" movement really picked up. While I was happy at the fact that Africa as something that people were concrened about...however there were other contradictions. A lot of times it seemed like some of the people involved were there because it was "the thing" to do and were there because of because. nevertheless there were some genuine people interested as well who had lots of insight...

Anyways this CSM article focuses on the negitives of the "African Movement" in the West:


Last fall, shortly after I returned from Nigeria, I was accosted by a perky blond college student whose blue eyes seemed to match the "African" beads around her wrists.

"Save Darfur!" she shouted from behind a table covered with pamphlets urging students to TAKE ACTION NOW! STOP GENOCIDE IN DARFUR!

My aversion to college kids jumping onto fashionable social causes nearly caused me to walk on, but her next shout stopped me.

"Don't you want to help us save Africa?" she yelled.

It seems that these days, wracked by guilt at the humanitarian crisis it has created in the Middle East, the West has turned to Africa for redemption. READ ON

No comments: